Insurance can seem complicated when it comes to situations where water gets into your home. While you may think that the damage is covered by your policy, you may be surprised to find out that it isn't when making a claim. Here are some situations where water can get into your home, and what kind of insurance will cover it.

Pipe Burst

If the freezing cold temperatures of winter have caused a pipe to burst in your home, it will create a mess where water gets everywhere. Thankfully, this is a situation that should be covered under your standard homeowners insurance policy. One thing to keep in mind is that it will only be worth making a claim if the damage costs more than your deductible. If water ended up flooding your basement with several inches of water from a burst pipe while away on vacation, it makes sense to use insurance to fix it.

Roof Leak

Water that comes in through a damaged roof should also be covered by your standard home insurance policy, as long as the reason behind the damage is covered. There can be confusion for homeowners that live in coastal areas that are prone to hurricanes and other high wind events. You may actually need wind insurance to make sure that the damage is covered from a roof leak.

Sewer Backup

If the water came into your home through a sewer pipe, you may think that this is a similar situation as the burst pipe and it will be covered by insurance. Unfortunately, many home insurance policies require a separate sewage backup policy for this type of damage. It covers any damage from water that backs up into your home from the sewer system, even if the water is clean. This can happen if you have a damaged drain tile and rainwater enters your basement after a heavy rainstorm. As long as it comes through the sewer pipe, it requires this policy.

Flood Damage

While the rain that comes through your roof may be covered, rain that comes in through your window wells will require a flood insurance policy. Even though the water is not overtaking your home from a nearby large body of water, something as simple as rainwater rising from the street and reaching your window wells is considered flood damage. Keep this in mind if you notice that the street floods after large rainstorms, causing the water levels to get close to your house.